- 1½ pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails removed)
- coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
- 6 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ pound linguine
- 1½ cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces, plus extra leaves for garnish (optional)
Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 4 teaspoons of the oil over high heat. Add the shrimp; cook until opaque throughout, turning occasionally, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; set aside.
Make the sauce: To the same skillet, add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and the garlic; cook over medium heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the canned tomatoes and their juice, along with 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have softened and are saucy, about 15 minutes. Remove the sauce from the heat; stir in the cherry tomatoes.
Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain; return the pasta to the pot. Add the tomato sauce, shrimp, and basil; season with salt and pepper and toss. Serve immediately, garnished with basil leaves, if desired.